Monday, June 27, 2011



Bloodmoney: A Novel of Espionage



Bloodmoney: A Novel of EspionageView a preview of this book online
Although her last outing nearly got her killed, CIA field operative Sophie Marx is eager to get out of the office again. She gets her chance with a dangerous assignment: She's charged with tracking down the source of a leak that has gotten four agents killed. What she uncovers leads to Pakistan and Afghanistan, but also to a wheeler-dealer on her own side. Once again, David Ignatius (Body of Lies; The Increment) delivers the goods with a realistic foreign intrigue thriller.



This novel a great read for anyone interested in learning a little about world politics while reading fiction. Not surprisingly, most of the characters are lying or hiding something...the book cover does say "A Novel of Espionage". It did take me awhile to decide who the "good guys" were. I was never entirely sure that I was right!

What I loved:
I loved that today's current events were woven through out this book. I loved the insight it gave into the Pakistani culture, the CIA and other covert operations may or may not be happening in the real world today.

The Pakistani culture is fascinating. This book gave me a better understanding into their ideological concepts of honor and revenge and a lesson about the tribal codes that I had been previously unaware of. I also loved the introduction into the language and proverbs of the Pakistanis.

I loved that the main character was female. I liked that she had a little romance on the side. It gave her character some much needed depth.

What I didn't love:
All of the characters were a little flat. They all could use some more development.

Sophie, the main character had a past with the CIA that could have been expanded upon. Her family life was revealed in little snippets of information. The information that was given was interesting and made me what to know more. Give me more! Sophie has the potential to be a great three dimensional character...she just needs a little work!

Overall, I enjoyed this novel and plan to read more of this author!
Thanks to the publisher, W.W. Norton and Company for allowing me to read and review this book.
  



No comments: