Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Borgia Betrayal by Sara Poole


The Borgia Betrayal



From the book cover:


Before the Tudors, there were the Borgias. More passionate. More dangerous. More deadly.
From the author of Poison, called “stunning”* and “a fascinating page-turner,” comes a new historical thriller, featuring the same intriguing and beautiful heroine: Borgia court poisoner, Francesca Giordano.
      In the summer of 1493, Rodrigo Borgia, Alexander VI, has been pope for almost a year. Having played a crucial role in helping him ascend the chair of Saint Peter, Francesca, haunted by the shadows of her own past, is now charged with keeping him there. As court poisoner to the most notorious and dangerous family in Italy, this mistress of death faces a web of peril, intrigue, and deceit that threatens to extinguish the light of the Renaissance.
      As dangers close in from every direction, Francesca conceives a desperate plan that puts her own life at risk and hurls her into a nightmare confrontation with a madman intent on destroying all she is pledged to protect. From the hidden crypts of fifteenth-century Rome to its teeming streets alive with sensuality, obsession, and treachery, Francesca must battle the demons of her own dark nature to unravel a plot to destroy the Borgias, seize control of Christendom, and plunge the world into eternal darkness.





A sequel to the novel, Poison

I normally do not like to read books that are a series out of order. I have not read the previous book , poison, but decided to ahead and read it. I am really glad that I gave this book a chance! The concept of the main character being a the “court poisoner” to the pope caught my attention. I love this unusual setting and character. All of the new books seem to feature vampires and zombies, this was a refreshing change of pace. No one single vampire in the entire novel!

This novel does stand alone , but I wonder how much more I might have gained, had I read the first book. The book, Poison. It is definitely on my “to read list”.

Now onto one of my pet peeves related to novels set in a specific time period... This novel is set in the year 1493. As I read several phrases and words struck me as inappropriate to the time period. Here's and example; at one point a reference is made to having your cake and eating it ,too. A phrase that is attributed to Marie Antoinette during the French Revolution. Another was the use of the word “drone”.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and  I plan to read "Poison" soon!






No comments: