Sunday, February 5, 2012

The California Girl Chronicles, Brea & the City of Plastic by Michelle Gamble-Risley

Image of California Girl Chronicles – Limited, Advanced Hardcover Edition
ISBN- 9780615557878
Pages: 182 pages
Release Date: January 2012

"The California Girl Chronicles, Book 1 introduces Brea Harper, smart, beautiful, blond and sprayed tanned. You know no respectable California girl would actually lay in the sun anymore without sunscreen, right? Join Brea on her tragically misguided romantic and professional adventures to pursue her dream to become a screenwriter in the City of Angels. Meet Brea’s men — safe-and-secure Lance who she lives with out of convenience when he moves to Los Angeles; charismatic and twisted “band boy” Drew; and hot, sexy and loving Kale, the Hollywood producer who mentors, inspires and truly loves her. Get sucked into the steamy, sexy world of Brea Harper as she comes of age in the seductive world of Hollywood"  Quote borrowed from 3L Publishing.

OK, I admit that I wasn't too sure about this book from the start.  The phrase "California Girl"  brings to mind the girl that stars in all the dumb blond jokes.  It looked  like the stereotypical chick lit that I usually dislike, but I was ready for a change of pace and the book didn't look too long.   I really wasn't expecting much....

By page 50 I was hooked!

Brea , the California girl, is the main character.   She sees nothing wrong with multiple sexual partners with no safe sex in sight. I was prepared to dislike her from the start.   But, she really evolves into a  likable character.  She is sweet and has good intentions, although she doesn't seem to anticipate the consequences of some of her decisions.  Before long I was are cheering her on and hoping that she would make the right choices.  Which she usually didn't.  Brea is definitely flawed, but not especially dumb. The author, Michelle Gamble-Risley, has captured that period of time that we all look back on and ask, "What the #$*! was I thinking?"

Warning:  This book is definitely not a "G" rated book.  It has graphic naughty bits, and as I mentioned above, multiple partners.  I didn't find them offensive, but others might.  These scenes were well written, but seemed to lack something.  Brea is pretty willing to jump into bed on the first date.  The sex became a bit boring after awhile. I think that delaying  the sex scenes and letting the sexual tension build  might have made it more interesting.

 That is really my only criticism of this book.  It is a fun, fast read that is very entertaining.  The book ends in a huge cliff hanger.  Thankfully, the first chapter of the next book is included.  Once again, Brea has some decisions to make.... I will be watching for the next book in this series.  I can't wait to see what kind of trouble Brea get into next!

Thanks to 3L Publishing and the author for allowing me to read and review this book.

3 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Not sure about the naughty bits but great review

Glenna said...

Thanks kimba! I am not sure if you are talking about the actual book or my use of the term "naughty bits". If it is the terminology : Guess I spent too much time with little kids. : )